Safety Tips to Avoid Car Accidents
Car accidents can be terrifying and life-changing events that can happen to anyone, regardless of how cautious a driver they may be. In a split second, a minor mistake or momentary distraction can lead to a serious collision. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over six million car accidents occur in the United States every year, with three million people injured and over 30,000 fatalities. No matter how hard we try, sometimes an accident is out-of-our-control. Did you know that approximately ninety percent of these motor vehicle crashes are caused in part by human error? Car accidents can be devastating, not only causing damage to vehicles but also resulting in severe injuries or even fatalities. However, many accidents can be prevented by following 9 Safety tips to avoid car accidents.
Here are 9 Safety Tips:
- Always wear your seat belt: Seat belts save lives and can reduce the risk of serious injuries in a car accident. Make sure you and all passengers in your vehicle wear seat belts at all times.
- Follow the speed limit: Speeding is a leading cause of car accidents. Always obey posted speed limits and slow down in adverse weather conditions or on unfamiliar roads.
- Avoid distractions: Distracted driving is dangerous and can include texting, talking on the phone, eating, and adjusting the radio or GPS. Stay focused on the road and avoid any distractions while driving.
- Keep a safe distance: Maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you. This will give you more time to react to sudden stops or turns.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Keep an eye out for other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists. It’s best to scan the road at all times. Try and be aware of who and what is around you.
- Check your blind spots: Always check your blind spots before changing lanes or making a turn.
- Keep your vehicle maintained: Regularly check your car’s brakes, tires, lights, alignment, transmission fluid, steering/suspension, and antifreeze to help you avoid an accident.
- Use turn signals: Use your turn signals to signal your intentions to other drivers. This can help prevent accidents caused by sudden lane changes or turns.
- Drive defensively: Assume other drivers may make mistakes and be prepared to react quickly to avoid accidents.
What Else Can Be Done Do To Avoid Car Accidents
Car accidents are an unfortunate reality on our roads today. Additionally, they are one of the leading causes of death and injuries worldwide. Whether you are a seasoned driver or a novice, it’s essential to prioritize safety when on the road. Remember, defensive driving and being aware of your surroundings can go a long way in preventing car accidents. Always prioritize safety while on the road. Sadly, no matter how careful you are you still may have to deal with the aftermath of a car accident. If you or someone you know has experienced an injury or death in a car accident, ensure you get the compensation you deserve and contact The Law Offices of Tim McDonough today to review your legal options.